Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The teacher ALWAYS learns more than the student

I feel like that is a valid statement. If you have ever taught anyone anything, you will know that this is true. You always end up learning more about yourself from your "student." I could also have titled this post something else, but I didn't want to give everything away so easily. I just want to talk about one of my "students" and my absolute favorite one at that. I cannot put my feelings all in this post because it would be absolutely impossible and I could never express everything as eloquently as she could, because she is quite a genius and has a way with words. All that aside, here I go....


For Darby

A name as unique as the girl. Probably one of the greatest people you will ever know. If you know OF her, but do not KNOW her, you are truly missing out. She is quite tall, taller than me. She is beautiful, with a beauty all her own. She is smart, probably smarter than you (definitely smarter than me). She is funny, without even realizing she is. She is just Darby and that is something really spectacular. I don't think she gives herself enough credit because she really is amazing. I met Darby when I was in 11th grade and she was in 8th. My band director introduced us and told me that I would be teaching her how to read music and play the xylophone/marimba/piano. Honestly, I was terrified because I didn't know that much myself and to have to teach someone the basics of music didn't sound like any fun at all. I had a hard time interacting with new people and I was not looking forward to helping this little 8th grader. I can say that I am so grateful that  I was given that wonderful opportunity. After we warmed up to each other, I realized she was a quick learner, and by quick I mean road-runner fast. I was amazed at how fast she picked things up. As we got done with the basics we actually got to know each other. She told me of her crushes and I laughed as she blushed. I told her my stories and she laughed as I blushed. We laughed, probably too much for band class. We got to the band concert and she outplayed me and that is a fact. We spent the summer apart, but there were Facebook posts and messages exchanged. There were jokes of Mick Jagger/John Mayer and Stephen Spielberg. Once we started marching season, I got to watch her play that bass drum (like a boss) while I waved my arms around on a stand, which I still don't think I ever deserved. I encouraged her and told her that she as awesome because she rocked sunglasses on the competition field because she got kicked in the eye the night before and STILL competed. She boosted me up and hugged me as I cried after those disappointing competitions. After all that was over, it was back to concert band and she was beside every single day. We were lunch buddies. She ate those dang pizzas every day and got me addicted to them. I would make her go the vending machine to get me fruit snacks that never came out. (EVERY TIME) During band, she would tell me of her boy troubles with boys that were not good enough for her. I listened, tried to advise, and she still knew all her music better than I did. Besides the  boy drama, we had fun and lots of it. Whether it as laughing at Swanson or dancing to Celtic Ritual, which still makes me giggle, there weren't many dull moments... besides me occasionally falling asleep on the marimba. That freshman became my best friend. She pushed me to better because she was better than me. She outplayed me at EVERY single concert and that made me really happy. As my senior year came to an end, I was saddened that I would not get to stand next to Darby everyday and watch her play that marimba with ease. This year, Darby got to conduct (my) group of 7th graders and that made my heart so happy that I could burst. Darby is also going to the NC School of Science and Math, aka a school really smart peoplez. I couldn't be more honored to call myself her friend. So Darby, Darbles, Darbster, my apprentice, my right hand (wo)man... thanks. Thanks for making me laugh and cry. Thanks for listening to me and letting me listen to you. Thanks for always being there for me. Thanks for teaching me more about myself. Thanks for being you. You are and will always be one of the coolest most amazing people I know. Never think you are not good enough because you are. You are wonderful in every way possible. You are my hero and I mean that. Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.  I love you and will love you forever.

-M. Philly

No comments:

Post a Comment