Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Just say "HEY!"

Soooo, I have written a few things in the past month, but I have literally written them down on pen and paper because I always get in the mood to write when I am on campus and I never bring my laptop to campus with me. Maybe one day I will buckle down and type them up and post them, but I wouldn't count on it. Today I got a little inspired while on campus, but the thought is still in my mind, so I thought I better take advantage of this writing mood while it lasts.

Today was I was sitting in one of the buildings on campus, waiting for one of my classes to start and I saw a person that I know, but I don't REALLY know... it's quite a long story and a really embarrassing one at that, so I will just say that I don't think this person knows who I am and I'll leave it there. So I see this person, who happens to be a fairly attractive male and I thought "Oh my goodness, I need to talk to him. I need to say something to him. This is a sign that I should do something. I have been waiting for something like this to happen. This is a sign!!" Then the doubts creeped in and I was thinking "No way. What would I even say? I am terrible at talking to people. He looks pretty occupied. He is going to think I'm some crazy girl for just randomly talking to him." And then the ultimate thought came to my mind... "He probably doesn't even know I exist." That really got me thinking. How are we going to let people know that we exist if we are not willing to show them that we do!?

This is something that I have been thinking about and something that has been talked about among my friends lately. We tend to complain about not making a ton of new friends or we have guys that we see and would like to talk to or be friends with, but we don't do anything about it. As girls I think we sometimes think that we have to wait for the guys to come up and say something to us and if they don't then they are not interested. The thing is, if you are not willing to say or do something to let that person know that you exist, then they are never going to be interested because they aren't going to know you. I think the thing is that we as humans fear rejection. We are afraid to talk to people we don't know because they may not like us or want to talk to us at all. This goes for guys as well! The thing is, we can't be afraid to talk to people just because we are scared. If we do that then we will never have new people in our lives. We just have to be brave enough to take the risk and say "Hey!" or "I like your watch!" (That's my go-to line, if they have a watch...) If they are someone who is meant to be in your life, they will talk to you and things could happen, but if they brush you off like a jerk, well then they suck and you don't want them in your life anyway. We just have to stop being so afraid to fail because really, we are failing if we don't do anything at all.

So next time you see someone that you think you'd like to get to know, TALK TO THEM! Don't be afraid of rejection. You have just got to let them know that you exist!! I need to take my own advice and stop being so self-conscious and worrying about what people will think of me. This is the time in my life I need to be taking risks and talking to whoever the heck I want to, so I am going to try harder. I am going to be more brave and I hope you will be, too! :)

-M. Philly

1 comment:

  1. yassss I'm so happy that you updated! this is such a good post. wise words from m. philly indeed.

    ReplyDelete