Thursday, September 18, 2014

What's up, Utah?!

Hey guys! I wrote this post a week ago and failed to post it, so here it is... just a little late.

Hey guess what guys?! I'M AT BYU!!! Pretty exciting, I know. I have been told by a few people that I haven't updated them on what's going on. Really I didn't think people were all that interested, but since people are then I am willing to share how my first couple weeks have been here in Provo.

Well, I moved into my apartment on Thursday (August 28, if you want dates) and that was a lot easier than I expected. I was really scared, to be honest. I couldn't eat and I felt sick because I was so nervous. First off, I met my roommates the night before when I dropped my stuff off before going to see some more family. Let me just tell you, they are the bomb.com. There is no doubt in my mind that Heavenly Father made sure I was in the perfect apartment. It's only been 2 weeks and I have already danced in the kitchen, done “parkour” in the parking lot, and even sung Hannah Montana, all things I would only do in front of people I am comfortable with. It is pretty great. I really like my apartment and the whole complex. I definitely picked the right place. (Go me!) My ward is really great and can I just say that being in a Singles Ward is amazing! It is so much more reverent and the hymns sound so good because all these young people have good voices. It's pretty crazy! The whole living situation is great and it is such a comfort to call it my new home.

Now school is another whole thing. To say it has been overwhelming would be a bit of an UNDERstatement. I am just now getting to the point where I can get to my classes without having to look up the room number and looking at the campus map on my phone to get to the correct building. Yeah, I had to do that my first week, no lie. I only had to turn around two or three times and I have not tripped, fallen, or run into anyone... yet. (I am sure my time will come soon. I pretty much just jinxed myself right there. OH well!) My first week was a bit much for a transfer student from little ole' Roxboro. In that first week I managed to move to a new state with all new people, start school, question my major, drop two classes, add a new class, and change my major, all of which were not stressful at all. I can proudly say that I did all of that without shedding a tear. I thought that was a bit of an accomplishment. With a little help from my mother, sisters, my roommates, and my patriarchal blessing, things are good now. Everything has been figured out and I am beginning to really enjoy some of my classes. I legit got to take a nap in one of my theatre classes the other day! Yeah, my professor said it was okay and even good if we fell asleep! (We were doing some relaxation exercises, so sleeping was acceptable... amazing.) My major is now just Theatre Arts Studies compared to Pre-Acting and I am happy with that for now. Knowing me, I'm bound to change my mind sometime along the way, but not for a good while. I really love that some of my classes begin with a prayer and spiritual aspects are brought into almost everything we learn. That makes me feel so much more comfortable and just makes me happy! I also love hearing the choir singing hymns while I do homework, or hear them being sung in different languages in another building. Now it's not like that everywhere. They were playing some dubstep on the quad the other day, no joke. My mom said it right, there is no place quite like BYU and I am really loving it.

As for the social and adventure aspect, I am a failure. JUST kidding! I have done a pretty good amount of new things in the past couple weeks. I hiked up to the Y, which I see every single day and I love it, and that was pretty much death. Seriously, the altitude difference is killer you guys. I felt like a bit of a wimp because of how much I struggled. I also hiked up to a little waterfall with some people. Went to my first college “party,” which is not ANYTHING you would suspect. We seriously went to another apartment and had ice cream... total rager! Had Hot Tub Monday, which is just my roommates and myself chilling in the hot tube at like 9:30 on Monday nights. This week we had lots of people join us and I swam in our freaking cold pool in like 50 degree weather, and I loved it! (I seriously did.) We went to a rooftop concert this past weekend, which was pretty cool. I have even gone on a date, so I think I can say I have been pretty social and adventurous in the past weeks. I still have a lot of improving to do when it comes to just putting myself out there and meeting and talking to new people, but I have time... plenty of it.


All in all, things are great. I have only had one little hour long spout of homesickness talking to my mom on the phone, but other than that I have been good. I am finally getting to the point where I can stop freaking out, relax, and just enjoy myself. Well, that is all for now! I will have to post pictures of my apartment and such once I actually put pictures up in my room and decorate. I'll get to that... one day! Anyway, I will keep you updated! :D

- M. Philly

No comments:

Post a Comment