Monday, May 9, 2016

Behind

Social media is a double edge sword. It allows us to stay connected with friends and family no matter where we are, but it also allows us to compare ourselves to others. I find myself comparing my life to my friends' more often than I should. It is hard to look at what others are doing and not wonder why you aren't doing the same things.

I graduated high school four years ago, which means I could be graduating college right now. Many of my friends are graduated this past weekend and are moving on to bigger and better things, while I am sitting in my apartment writing this when I should be writing an article that is due before next class. As I saw everyone posting pictures at graduation, I began to think why that wasn't me. Why am I not graduating right now? Why am I behind? Why is my life a mess when everyone else seems to have theirs together?

While I was wallowing in my hole of self-pity, I snapped myself back to reality. Just because someone looks like they have their life together, doesn't mean they do. Sure, I may not have graduated this weekend, but I will in a year and a half. I may be behind, but it's because I chose to transfer schools rather than go to a university I didn't love for four years. My life may be a bit of a mess, but I still have time to figure things out before I get thrown into the real world. My original life plan may be shot to pieces, but I know I am right where I am supposed to be. I am Madeline and I can't and don't want to be anyone else. (I mean, I actually wouldn't mind being Taylor Swift...)

We have to stop comparing ourselves to others. None of us are the same. We all move through life in different ways and at different paces. We all look different and have different personalities, so we should celebrate those differences! Find what makes you extra special because there is something special about everyone. Be happy with where and who you are because the only life you can live is your own. Life is meant to be enjoyed, not just endured, so love YOUR life and be the best YOU you can possibly be. I promise, it's better than watching others live their lives on Instagram or Facebook. ;)

-M. Philly


No comments:

Post a Comment